The first-ever World Humanitarian Summit, set to take place in Istanbul on 23-24 May 2016, is a global call to action by the United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
The Summit has three main goals:
- To re-inspire and reinvigorate our commitment to humanity and to the universality of humanitarian principles.
- To initiate a set of concrete actions and commitments aimed at enabling countries and communities to better prepare for and respond to crises, and be more resilient to shocks.
- To share innovations and best practices that can help to save lives around the world, put affected people at the center of humanitarian action, and alleviate suffering.
Side Event: Improving Cross-Sector Responses to Humanitarian Crises
The ETC will be participating in a Side Event session on Tuesday 24 May, 11:00 local time, within the theme 'Working Differently to End Need'. The panel discussion, titled Improving Cross-Sector Responses to Humanitarian Crises explores how the private sector has joined industry, humanitarian and cross-sector networks to increase the resilience and reduce the vulnerability of disaster-affected and at-risk populations. Panellists include:
- Alpha Bah, Chief ETC and WFP IT Emergency Coordination branch, World Food Programme (WFP)
- Espen Barth Eide, Head of Geopolitical Affairs, Member of the Managing Board, World Economic Forum
- Simon Gray, Vice President of Humanitarian Affairs at Eutelsat, Director of the Global VSAT Forum (GVF), elected ESOA Working Group Coordinator
- Ed Martinez, UPS Foundation
- Butch Meily, President, Philippine Disaster Resilience Foundation
- Pedro Rodrigues de Almeida, Head of Basic Industries, Member of the Executive Committee, World Economic Forum
- Lawrence Yanovitch, President, GSMA Foundation
to activate your subscription and receive e-mail notifications.